Pages

A blog that's not about running. Ever.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Painting with Wolverines: Ann Arbor

One day I will write about my own hometown. Today is not that day.

Today I wanted to give a shout out to a city that, as a Spartan alum, I have never appreciated for what it is. Ann Arbor is about an hour away from metro-Detroit, at least where I live. It is home to the University of Michigan and also to my friend, M, which is why I spent last Wednesday night amongst the Wolverines. 

M texted me on Wednesday morning and asked if I wanted to go to Paint and Pour with her that night. It was free, involved wine (we didn't realize that was BYOB until we were already in our smocks, take note for future reference) and all I had to do was drive to Ann Arbor through rush hour traffic after work to get there by 7. Done deal. 

I was quite impressed that I got to my destination prior to 7, although in hind sight we realized that we could've stopped and gotten wine prior to the class as it didn't start until more like 7:20, but I digress... We left with spring versions of a painting called "Swing into Fall". 

Afterwards, we strolled the streets of downtown Ann Arbor, streets I had never been down (sober). My roommate in college and I used to visit our friend from high school a few times a year when he went to U of M, but that never included us visiting places that weren't populated with other drunk or hungover 20 year olds. I had never taken the time to appreciate the city that held my alma mater's rival. But on that breezy spring night, sitting down to the best Belgian waffle I've had outside of Brussels itself, I realized what a great place Ann Arbor can be outside of your collegiate years.


This beauty, The Peanut Butter Cup, was courtesy of The Wafel Shop. A Belgian "tourist" waffle and probably not the best idea for dinner, but I was extremely pleased by my decision. M opted for the savory Luxembourg in the background, which was made up with goat cheese, arugula and a balsamic reduction on a Brussels waffle. Upon a second look at their menu just now, I will definitely be making a return trip. Probably for that Wafel Poutine.

I also need to give a shout-out to my favorite place to eat in Ann Arbor, Zingerman's Delicatessan. Over priced? Maybe. Delicious? Definitely. There are three different Zingerman's establishments: the Roadhouse, the Bakehouse, and the Deli, and all located in Ann Arbor. I've even been to Zingerman's training facility (also in Ann Arbor), which is located in a Wonka factory-like little neighborhood of different buildings making and baking Zingerman's finest. I discovered this expensive company working at my previous job which sold many of their products (Go Blue! Blueberry Pie, try it, love it, try not to eat the whole thing). I've taken trips to Ann Arbor solely to eat at Zingerman's and even agreed to pick up my roommate in Ypsilanti solely because I knew I could stop and eat there.  

I usually opt for the #14 Charlie M's Tuna, full sandwich. Because at only $2 more for a full than a half, it makes financial sense to just get the whole thing, right? And for dessert, I recommend a Peanut Butter Cosmic Cake, their Hummingbird Cake, or as mentioned above, a slice (or a whole pie, whatever, I'm not judging you) of their Go Blue! Blueberry Pie. I mean if you're in the land of Maize and Blue, why wouldn't you?

Seriously though, way to go Ann Arbor, you've won over this Spartan. If only for the food. 

Until next time, 
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric