Pages

A blog that's not about running. Ever.

Friday, May 16, 2014

First Food Friday Fail

Alright so the first week on the schedule didn't go too well. I apologize. H is on vacation, I just moved into a new place and things are a little scattered right now, but hopefully next week we'll be able to get on track and stay there.

This week there were a few food related things that I could've written about, yet there's no photographic evidence whatsoever because 1. I left my camera at my mom's house 2. I don't have the right cord to sync it up and 3. I'm not really used to carrying it around with me everywhere I go (my bag just doesn't allow it). So in lieu of the food I wanted to write about, that I will try to write about next week, I wanted to do a little about me - food edition.

First of all, I know a plethora of chefs. I worked at an, let's call it "up-scale", grocery store for four years so I've met a fair amount of personal chefs and worked with a few at the store and at events. My uncle graduated from the CIA (that's Culinary Institute of America, not the Central Intelligence Agency) and was an executive chef at the Detroit Athletic Club for over twenty years. I've got a few friends that are aspiring to own restaurants or run their kitchens. And my mother has an odd habit of dating them, for the past three years she's been dating a billionaire's private chef. 

So with that territory comes a lot of critique when it comes to food. There are developed and exotic palates, new flavors and combinations that can be gourmet or just extremely creative. It offers a lot when you want something made for you, or you want a restaurant suggestion. But usually it ends up with me realizing that in my day-to-day life, I don't need anything fancy, although sometimes it's nice. Simple flavor tends to be the way I lean and now you know where I stand. 

And a few answered questions...

The Best Thing You Ever Ate ... Belgian waffles from Vitalguafre in Brussels, the main reason I want to go back to Belgium. In a very close second were the pomme frites from a shop near Grand Place.

Strangest Food You Ever Ate (and enjoyed) ... I have a running thing with one of my friends that whenever I told her about a food I ate while abroad it usually started with "oatmeal... and blood/organs", that said I really like black pudding with eggs over-easy. And I had haggis when I was in Scotland, I think I enjoyed it due to it being smothered in a whisky sauce.

Strangest Food You Ever Ate (and didn't care for)... In Detroit there's this little restaurant called Green Dot Stables and they have a different daily "mystery" meat as a burger option. We went between a wedding and the reception and had the camel, not my favorite burger protein.

Best Way to Eat Fries... With mayo (and occasionally, but not necessarily with ketchup)... it's the 12.5% of me that's Belgian.

Go To Meal in a New Restaurant ... A burger. Especially with sauteed onions and if there's an aoili. Best way to feel a place out.

Least Favorite Food ... Mushrooms. Texture, taste, thinking about it ... I don't do fungus.

Next week, there will be real content.

Until then, 

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric